Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sunday August 14 2011 San Fran

So I find it odd that i have been here for a week and im showing people around. let along showing my room mates new cool places.
It was our 1st sunday here and ed had off work so we decided to go into san fran. i thought it would be cool to take everyone to the cliff house and the burnt down Sutro Bath Houses.
This was a place my friends took me many of times when i lived in oakland. it was a tradition to have mimosas in the morning here. so we hopped in the car and sat in traffic and up a few huge hills and we arrived. below is a picture of the old sutro bath house or what is left of it. you can find more info on the sutro bath houses in the WEIRD CALIFORNIA book. this is also one of the many locations used in the filming of the movie harrold and maude.

The cliffs offer such an amazing view of the Pacific Ocean

I love the mixure of the trees, rocky cliff sides, huge rocks sticking out of the water, the soft sand and of course the freezing pacific ocean


This is a picture looking through one of the remaining structures of the bath house

Eds going to kill me for posting this horriable picture of him but its the only picture i have keeping the tradition of mimosas in the morning here. Sorry ED

Under the cliff's there are caves that as you can see have been fixed up for safety those people are watching the waves crash in another lower cave attached to the one we were in

Brian found a huge rock attached to land to climb and explore and watch the waves crash into. he dubbed it metal metal rock. it was fun to climb and watch the little crabs scurry around on.

a view of the cliffs and cave from across the beach
I love this place. its relaxing and makes me want to take a million pictures.

and what made it so much better was i got to share it with brian.

I adore the trees that line the san francisco coast.

enough of the beach and after a little of not following my GPS to escape a hippie festival going on in Golden gate Park which is not near the golden gate bridge.
we ended up in the mission. i take it there is a lil PRIDE going on here due to the flags. But thats cool with me. Brian was amazed by the trollie and bus cables above our heads which is mainly why this pic was taken. Yes san frans buses run on either electric or bio deisel and are next to silent. Brian said the cables ruined his view so we continued down the road to discover no parking near my friends pizza place

Then off to Pier 39 A huge tourist attraction at the fishermans warf But this carosuel had a panda and one day im going to ride that panda mark my words. if there wasnt a huge line i would have done it when we were there but i was with a grumpy husband who i forgot to feed all day . OOPPS

finally i found a place for us all to eat and ed had to play with his food. We all enjoyed some calamari

and of course i had to indulge in 1/2 a crab. My belly was so happy afterwards.

Ed dawn and brian Enjoyed some cold beers

while i wandered around taking pictures. I was so excited when i found the sea lions Sun bathing on the pier. they are so cute.

I must say minus brian being grumpy it was a good day in .

Dawn and i drooled over the fruit at the farmers market but we realized prices were marked up since we were at a tourist location and we would be better off getting our fruit from the mexican farmers that set up a few blocks from our house. their fruit looks and smells just as good.

we walked down a little farther to watch the guys steaming crabs on the side of the road fresh off the piers.


On our way back to the car brian had to try out the robo toilet

instructions on how to use the toilet below.

Then as the sun was setting i rushed towards the golden gate bridge to take pictures. I figured Fort Mason would be the perfect place to capture my vision.. it turned out to be beyond the perfect location but i seemed to have forgotten my fish eye lens. yes dad i know you hate my fish eye and you think i over used it. but it would have made for a better shot of the whole bridge. I seemed to have gotten lucky with the seagull who decided to pose for me.

here is a hipstamatic shot of the full bridge i took with my phone. Dear Iphone I love you.

On the way home we drove through the down town of san fran and brian said it reminded him of a mini NYC.
Then off to the bay bridge again and down the 580 to home.
It was all in all a great day with great people in a new place.

next time we go to san fran i want to eat at the stinking rose. it is one of the most amazing garlic restruants ever.

for now im off to sleep then off to the next adventure to share with every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment