Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day 2 on the road

Miles 739 to 1141.1
Chesterton Indiana to Des moines Iowa

Gas $ for toady spent $27.01

Woke to a dark silent room in a comphy bed. We all slept like the dead. Rolled over n looked at the clock n it was only 7:30am. So I figured I would sneak down stairs n check out the hot free breakfast at the hotel. But first I figured i should move the car closer to our room . Breakfast consist of eggs, bagels, waffles, sausage, biscuits n gravy hot coffee n oh n fresh fruit. Yumm. As I was eating Brian came in frantic asking where the car went. he thought it had been stolen while we slept. I notified him I had moved it to be nice to be closer to our room. His blood pressure subsided n he joined me for breakfast. We finished up n packed my purse w an apple each n went back to pack up n shower. While he was showering I added a photobucket slide show to the blog so I can load pics from my phone from the road. Then it was my turn.

Holy hot water even after 2 other people showered before me. It took me forever to get it to a temp that wasn't going to melt my skin off.

After a way too hot shower . I dressed n gathered my stuff and
Walked out of hotel to discover it was 88 degrees w 250% humidity my knees started sweating.

Pit stop at cvs to stock up on smart water n qtips.

On the road by 10:30am not too shabby. Today is going too good.

Go figure down the road a bit we see the detour sign I-80 closed to IL. Time to begin the wild goose chase on I-90 to get to 80. Then we hear a loud thump noise n turn around to see what it was ah nothing. Turn my head back around n road gator was in the lane next to me. Also known as a truck tire shed from an 18 wheeler. That was close, those things could ruin your day.

Found our way to 80 n cruising

Crossed into IL at 11:30am and were welcome with a 60 cent toll. Wow what a Police state. And I think they r in the process of repaving 1 lane of each direction on 80 thru IL. At some times we were even brought to a dead stop.

1:15 Stopped for gas in starving rock IL it sounded interesting we have come 850 miles so far
while in town I
Started getting a head ache so we stopped for a lil dunkin donuts n kfc n we got some amazing long john silvers paper pirate hats. That said I threw boredom over board at long john silvers. Umm yeah w your paper pirate hat.

Back on the road with our paper pirate hats . And do u you what kind of socks pirates wear? Aaarrr- gyles. Get it argyles. Lol. Now Guess what more construction gggrrrr.

The joke of the day was "hey kids get your matching shirts, we are going on vacation to middle America to the RV hall of fame" I could so see Brian wanting to take a family trip there. And yes the RV hall of fame exists .

Around 3:10pm we crossed into Iowa almost made it to the 1000 mile mark but not quite only 944.4 miles down n alot more to go. # 1 rule of driving thru Iowa is you must play the band Slipknot at a loud volume n you have to at least listen to the whole album titled Iowa at least once. It makes Iowa so much better to drive thru.

We passed a sign that said smokestacks n silos heritage area so of course Brian wanted a picture of it. Then we saw about a million more corn fields . Go figure Iowa has a lot of corn fields.

Around 3:30 we made a pit stop at the Iowa 80 worlds largest truck stop and truck museum. This place is so big it has multi semi's inside it. There is a truck depot with everything a trucker could dream of. Then there is the tourist trap mall inside the truck stop, then about restaurants n a bunch of fast food, showers, n so much more. I bought a bunch of post cards for Ariana n faith back in Nj. Hopefully they like them.

Back on the road n more Corn fields seriously. Then we noticed Showers in the distance they didn't really come near us but were making unique lines in the sky.

Brian said my song should be
I can't drive 55 since my mom has called saying my tracker on the blog says I'm going faster then 55. First the speed limit is 80 in most of middle America n states out side of Nj. Second my tracker on my blog also said I was doing 14685 mph . Which is impossible. I may drive a matrix but it certainly doesn't let me travel thru any cool worm holes or time warps.

We Exited off 80 toward Des Moines n Brian said holy shit buildings. It had seemed like forever or maybe just since Chicago that we had not seen a city with huge buildings.

6:25 we arrived at shorts' house. Who may I add moved to Iowa by choice. We said our hellos n introduced him to Courtney n he introduced us to his lovely and sweet lady friend named Kim.

We sat around catching up for a while then, We Decided to hit up a lil bar for a drink n a bite to eat so shorts took us to a place called high life in Des moines.
It's a 1960's 1970's themed bar that only sells beer from that era n the prices still resemble that time too. This really is an amazing place. We got burgers tater tots n drinks. Thank you shorts . the Decor is great too all old beer adds n bar lights.

Attached to high life is another bar called el bait shop with a menu of beers that stretched 4pages of the menu. name a beer and i assure you they have it. Their decor was quite unique too. I loved it. I will post pics in the side bar.

After dinner we headed back to Shorts' house hung out for a bit before we all decided it was time to call it a night.

Thank you shorts for everything.

I must say hanging with shorts in Iowa makes Iowa seem so much more awesome.


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment