Friday, August 26, 2011

August 20th and 21st 2011

After a long week of submitting resumes and being bored we decided it was time for a little get away with the room mates.
We were all up by 7 am and the car was packed and ready to go by 9. There was alot of Brian telling everyone to leave stuff home cause we wouldnt need it.

On the road and off to big sur.
3 hours of driving and way too much laughter. To the point I almost peed pants. Thank god for that gas station where there was a maitor dee walking around in a suit serving free water to everyone that stopped. And them having a bathroom. Back on the road .

We Arrived at big sur camp site to find no open campsites. Now usually i reserve a camp site but there were only walk in reservations left that were first come first serve. So i took my chances and warned everyone of the situation before we left. Well Negative Nancy aka Brian got his panties in a bussel. So I kept driving knowing things would work them Selves out as they usually do. I had faith that we were ment to have a good time camping along the coast. So i kept driving south. An hour down the road we came up to a camp site called Kirk creek. It said no vacancy but I drove in any way. And drove around and came up to a ranger truck sitting on the one lane road parked. I stopped the car n negative Nancy started complaining that now we were stuck n there wasn't going to be any camp sites. The ranger was yelling at a huge group of campers in a field. The ranger finished and came back to his truck and I stopped him and asked if by any miracle there was a last min opening and he turned around and said we could take the site next to where we were stopped.but he said we had to be model campers. We unloaded the car n set up camp. Brian was still complaining there were no trees. But we found a trail That had something amazing in store for us. Down the trail a little ways grew bamboo. A little father were trees and a mini waterfall and a stream. It was so pretty and smelled like the most beautiful flowers. After a short stop we continued down the trail to discover a little natural pool at the bottom of the Stream and the pacific ocean. Along with a huge rock arch in the water. We climbed on the rocks and explored the coast. The tide was coming in and we were getting splashed by rogue waves. We decided it was a good idea to head back up to camp for a while.

Once back to camp we discovered it was only 3pm tho due to the fog it seemed like 7 pm. We hung out and had fire grilled hot dogs and hummus.
Everyone minus myself cracked open a beer and decided it was time to get comphy. We had an amazing view of the ocean from our camp site. We chatted with every one who walked by and even met an older gentleman who was bicycling the PCH from vancouver to Mexico on PCH. For his 4th year in a row.
It was an amazing day so far.

Dawn and I decided to go for a dive south a few miles to see the sights. We left the boys behind. We found beautiful vista points and a local store where the people were so friendly in the town of Gorda. We then met a young man bicycling the PCH from Oregon to San deigo with one leg. I have to give him credit. That is amazing. He had a special prosthetic leg made just for cycling.

Off we went back to camp with amazing stories to share. Still overcast but actually 7pm finally we started to get everything ready to cook dinner over the fire and Ed decided to wander off. About 45 mins went by and dawn kept saying she should go find him. We told her he was ok. Then to our surprise Ed came wandering up with his hand and arm covered in blood and finger wrapped in duck tape. He was trying to be sweet and wandered back to the trail to get her clovers to cook with dinner. But slipped on a wet rock and tried saving his drink instead of himself and grabbed a jagged rock and sliced his finger open. In a panic he tried to find a ternique then realized his hair tie would do . He wandered back up the trail to the ranger station covered in blood. And the ranger tried giving him a band aid but Ed asked for duct tape instead. The 2 minute walk from the ranger to our campsite left him bloody again by the time he reached us. I had my hiker box in the trunk and my makeshift first aid kit and ran for it. Hello kitty tissues, electrical tape camp soap and a children's plastic beaver knife did the trick. We cleaned him up wrapped him up and made a splint. He said he didn't want to go to the ER so we continued our night and cooking dinner on the open fire.

The sun went down and we all relaxed and enjoyed the perfect weather and not being home.


I wish there was a way to get paid to drive amazing roads like PCH and sleep under the stars every day. I have a secret love for PCH it soothes my soul and puts my mind and soul at peace. Some say it is one of the most beautiful and nerve racking roads to drive. I say it's heaven. I'm happy today's trip worked out. I'm sitting here by a fire listening to clutch playing on my iPod in a Tin can to create a small speaker. Listening to the waves crash below us and starring off at tail lights in the distance on the cliffs of PCH at a red light cause the south bound lane slid into the ocean. It's so peaceful here.

Brian n dawn went for a walk down to the water but i wanted to stay here and enjoy the fire. On their walk they discovered a guy playing a saxophone on the rocky beach with the waves crashing and someone had stacked little rocks on the big rocks to look like a million birds. I sort of regret not going but I enjoyed starring off at the PCH.

When they got back we all laid next to the fire under the open sky and just enjoyed our surrounding.

Dawn and Ed cowboy camped while brian and I went back to our tent in fear of moisture rolling in and ruining our down sleeping bags.

When we woke in the am Brian made breakfast sausage for everyone. And we began packing up camp.

After we packed the car we took a walk down to the beach to find the stacked rocks were still there and a family was making more. Dawn brought her fire poi stuff down with her. I photographed her while she twirled fire on the rocks.

A group of 7 year olds and their moms came over to watch. We started talking and the kids wanted to learn fire poi cause their mom had taken them to burning man for the past few years and it intrigued them to want to know more.

I think it's amazing that they have been going to burning man since they were 3 I'm a little jealous.

After dawn put her poi stuff away we went climbing on rocks and found star fish and baby octopus in little pools. It was amazing. Now this is the type of thing I missed about cali.

Noticing it got later we hiked back up and hopped in the car. Time to drive north but what I failed to tell everyone was I was taking PCH up towards Santa Cruz instead of taking the major freeway home. So I continued driving and I came upon a sign that I thought said fried artichokes 12 for $1 I got all excited and hopped off PCH . We got there and fried artichoke wraps were $4 but 12 fresh artichokes were $1 complete score. I bought my artichokes and got a huge thing of scallions for 45 cents. And also got the most amazing basket of strawberries for $1. The strawberries tasted like someone dipped them in sugar. But they were just that ripe and fresh. I must say it was interesting to finally see how artichokes grow on a farm I pictured them to grow like lettuce but they grow more like a tomato.

Back onto PCH And now a short distance from Santa Cruz. It was really cool to see all the farms along the coast I guess the weather and soil is best there for garlic, strawberries, artichokes, and many other vegies.

A short while later we arrived in Santa Cruz. And hig tailed it to the board walk. This is where the movie lost boys was filmed. A very cool boardwalk. We wandered for a bit to show Brian around. We got some cotton candy, fried Oreos, and had a blast people watching.

We left just before sunset and I hopped on the main freeway. Home sweet home bound. It was a great weekend and I'm happy everything worked out so well.


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment