Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 5

Rocky mountain national park to grand junction Colorado

Gas $$ spent $21.02

Miles 1843.0 to 2180.2

Woke to some one chopping wood at 6am are they serious?

Laid in my tent dreading getting up cause brian somehow found his way into my tent last night and I was warm in my sleeping bag and didn't want to crawl over him to get out of my tent. So I went back to sleep for an hour and was woken by brian looking for the car keys to start breakfast n coffee.

Brian had a pepperoni sandwich
and I tried making a backpackers pantry meal of a Denver omelet. Which was alot like egg mush soup. But I ate a lil. After breakfast I ran to dispose of our trash in the are you smarter then a bear dumpster and then off to do dishes. When I returned from doing dishes Brian told me there was a surprise for us on the table. Josh had brought over 4 delicious sausages. This made my morning.

Then Brian was so sweet and packed up camp and fixed everything in the car that we pulled out of place last night. Time to decide what our plans were for the day and get moving.

Just as the car was almost packed a nice gentleman with an RV across from our car approached us and asked if we would like some hash browns. He said they just arent good the next day and would hate to have to throw them away. I gladly accepted.

People out here are so kind and friendly.
Once the car was packed we said our good byes to our new friends and hit the road. I told brian it would probally be a better idea if we skipped another day of hiking and just head towards arches national park he looked so sad but agreed with me.

On our drive out of the park we stopped at a beautiful raging river and made a few phone calls and brian gathered some fresh water.
Then back on the road.

Everytime I looked over at Brian he looked so bummed. I know he wanted to go touch the CDT in the park so I took a quick left instead of a right to headed west and up in elevation on route 34 also known as trail ridge parkway. This road takes you above tree line and up to about 12,000 ft in elevation and close to the glaciers at the top of the rockys. It's like driving up mt Washington only higher and along side of glaciers. Or like driving 1/2 way up everest. Brian looked so confused on why I went this way but I told him to enjoy the view. It was like driving up to the clouds. When we reached the top I pulled off and let brian go run and play and hike for a bit while I laid back and enjoyed the view. It is chilly up there.

The Air tasted so good. so clean the water from the glacier run off so fresh.
Stand in snow in flip flops in august. Such beautiful views we took a million pictures. We saw a marmot licking a stone wall. An alpine chipmunk decided to smell Brians shoes. And yes I got a picture. We also drive by a herd of elk. It was quite a day. The drive was nerve racking since there are no guard rails. We decided we were going to take the scenic route to our next destination and kept on 34 west.

On our drive we saw a few moose. My favorite 3 were the momma daddy and baby on an island having lunch.
I figured since we came so far on 34 maybe i should look at a map and see where the CDT crosses in the park so we could stop, I also asked the ranger if he knew how much farther. The ranger gave us directions and off we went. Soon after I saw the cross walk he told me about and there it was the little blue marker on a log that looked like a beaver cut it down. Brian ran up and kissed the marker. We went for a little stroll up the trail it was pretty. Well graded not as heavily blazed as the AT but more secluded.

We Exited the park on the west side at 3pm. This brought us into a town called Grand lake. There was a huge lake and a bunch of little cute cabins. I stopped to pick up post cards and while inside I head a loud tapping on the windows. Oh fun Hail
They were about the size of moth balls and falling from the sky and bouncing everywhere.

Around 4:30 we made it to interstate 70. If you want a beautiful drive in Colorado check out 70 pictures don't do it justice and words can't explain it.
Along 70 they have tunnels so you can drive thru the mountains.

We stopped for dinner in a town called keystone but i think the Altitude is messing with our appetite
We have been at 8000 to 12000 ft elevation. My head is throbbing and I feel sleepy I hope we go back to a comfortable elevation soon.

I am in love with these little ski towns along 70 . Vail is so beautiful and the houses are to die for but way out of my price rage.

Once we came down the mountain we began to wind thru canyons and ride along the Colorado river. Which is breathe taking.

The rocks that line the highway are begining to turn Red. This means we are getting closer to Utah.
Colorado is a colorful state just like it's welcome sign says. And I'm enjoying it alot.
Even the sunset was stunning. Beautiful pink and purple clouds against blue skies behind red rocks along the Colorado river. What a day.
Around 9:14 we stopped in grand junction CO and stopped at a Motel 6 paid for our room and went in and oh no fleas. Yuck. I ran back to the lobby and got our $$ back. Oh joy it's late I'm tired and now we have to find a new place to rest my tired head.
Around 10pm we found a better clean a new hotel.
The ramada was decorated like a tropic island get away. Who in their right mind thinks tropic theme in Colorado ? But it was nice and has a huge bed for us to rest in till tomorrow. Good night


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment