Friday, September 23, 2011

Welcome to Portland. Hoping to find a home.

The first day in Portland we woke up to rain. Go figure. We Started our day with breakfast and happy birthday wishes to Danielle. I told her I was going to try to move here by her birthday. Well guess what I made it on her birthday.

I'm beyond thankful that Danielle and her amazing fiancé Shawn are letting us stay with them. Danielle is currently 4 months pregnant. And the two of them live in an adorable house. They are also allowing us to store all of our stuff in their garage and basement.
Words can not thank them enough.

Even tho it was danielle's birthday she was kind enough to take us around and show us the different neighborhoods and drove us by a few of the apartments we had on a list that I found on craigslist that were for rent. Alot of them didn't have assigned parking and after living in California and racking up parking tickets, parking included with the apartment is very important to me.

After driving around for a while we started to realize that getting an apartment on the South East side of town may be better for Brian cause there seems to be alot more close by and it would probally be easier for him to learn the grid and get around on foot and bicycle.

After driving around for a bit we went back to danielle's house to regroup, relax and get ready to go out to danielle's birthday party / last day at work.

When we got back the boys from Alabama Black Snake were gathered in the driveway getting ready for band practice.

After practice we all headed over to meet up with D. She seemed happy and seemed to be having a good time. We ordered up some beers and Brian and I went to hang out on the bars patio next to the fireplace.

It was a fun night even tho we got home late. It was nice to get to hang out with Greg, Shawn, Adam, and Danielle.
We went back to the house and passed out.

When we woke the next morning to our surprise it was sunny and absolutely beautiful.
Shawn had gone off to work and we had to find a uhaul place. Danielle took us to a little second hand shop that to my surprise was also a uhaul pick up location. We filled out a few papers and were off to forward air's docks to pick up our life.

I can't believe how quickly you can get to places out here. With in minutes we were at the dock. I signed some paper work and was instructed to take the uhaul around back and my pallets should be out in 5 minutes.

All I could think was I hope our stuff made it here in one piece. And our pallets will fit in this uhaul with out taking anything apart.

The door opened and out came a fork lift with pallet one. Into the truck with no problems and still in tact. But when pallet two came out we realized it wasn't going into the truck with out the top two layers of boxes coming off. This so did not make us happy. Last but not least out came the box spring. We loaded the truck and off we went back to Danielle and shawn's. While driving back my phone rang from an unknown number it was a sweet lady about an apartment we wanted to see. I was driving the uhaul and asked if I could call her back. When we pulled in the driveway. Danielle was on the phone with the same lady who just called me. She set up a time for us to go see the apartment.

We unloaded the truck and I ran the uhaul back to the place. I rushed back to take a shower and get ready to go see the place. The apartment was on the SE side across the st from a super market, gas station and near a cute little shopping district. It was small with hardwood floors and was vintage like it was built in the 1970's. But cute and for some reason felt like home. It had a front door and a back door. A bedroom, bathroom, kitchen with a funky baby blue stove, a living room and a mini dining room. This place even came with a parking spot and extra storage at no extra cost. Bike parking, washer and dryer in the basement, a community garden, and a little area by our back door where we can keep potted plants too. It seemed like such a happy little place. We decided to leave and spend the night thinking about it. It is a little small and may not have enough closet or cabinet space but wait we don't own furniture so maybe we can figure out how to make this work.
But in the mean time maybe we should look at other places too.

We left and headed to yoga class with our friends. Brian only agreed to go to yoga cause there was another guy attending.

We entered a really nice building up an elevator and were asked to take our socks and shoes off and to grab a yoga matt. Our instructor was beyond fit. She started us out with a few basic poses and then they got harder and harder. It was funny to look over at Brian who thought yoga was easy and BS. But It is one heck of a work out. An hour later class came to an end and Brian said to me that he thought he was in shape but that class made him realize he wasn't as fit as he thought.

Back off to the house and Brian and I were scouring both craigslist and padmapper.com for other rentals with in our price range in areas we wanted to live in.

I also uploaded my resume and started sending it out to everywhere I thought I had enough experience for.

This whole moving 3000 miles away thing isn't as easy as I remembered it from 2002. I must say as much as I am loving Portland I still miss my family.

But for the moment I will leave the rest for me to share tomorrow. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment