Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering NYC and 9/11

Remembering NYC and 9/11

I'm sorry for not updating the past 2days but between packing visiting friends to say good bye and many other things I haven't been able to put my all into this blog.

But today is the 10th anniversary of the horror we remember as 9/11.
Instead of focusing on the bad things that happened 10 years ago today I want to share a happy memory of NYC. And where I was on 9/11/01

When I was a little girl my aunt worked in the financial district in NYC. She worked at merrill lynch and used to take me to work with her for bring your daughter to work day. Now my aunt was one of the coolest aunts a kid could ask for. On bring your daughter to work day we would take the train into NYC as she did every day. We would take the train to the WTC. We would stop and look at the news stands and come up into the lobby and it was so fancy and full of people scurrying around on their way to work, school, or just touristing around. We would exit onto the street where I remember being so small and looking up at the big buildings known as the twin towers. We would walk the city blocks to her job in my fancy little kids business suit that was bought originally for my grandparents anniversary party. We would get to her job and I got to help her at work and look out the windows at the twin towers in awe.

At the end of the day we would grab a bite to eat and then head back to the WTC path trains to head back to NJ.

That is one of my happiest memories of NYC and the twin towers.

On 9/11/01 when the planes struck the towers my first fear was that my aunt was there. But due to the fact that my cousin D had just got married a few days before my aunt had taken the day off work to take her and her husband to the airport for their honeymoon. Due to all airplanes being grounded their flight was delayed. But I am thankful that my cousin D and her husband kept my aunt from going to work and that she is still here with us.

My heart goes out to those who lost friends and family that day. And yes NYC will never be the same. But I don't understand why the news insists on making us relive that day by re-airing the footage. I understand NEVER FORGET. But I assure you 99% of America never will but must we throw salt in people's wounds?


I remember playing hookie from college on 9/11/01 . I remember getting home late from a party in the city. My mom had gone to work n I was showering and the phones kept ringing in the house. Upon getting out of the shower I answered the phone and it was my mom frantic.she was realived I was at home and not still in NYC. She yelled at me to turn on the tv and right before my eyes the second plane hit. I was in shock and called dad to make sure my aunt was ok. He informed me she didn't go to work.

My next reaction was to grab my camera and go get Shannon. It was a day of disbelief, anger, and curiosity. I truly thought it was the end of the world.

I still own the NY Times front page from the next day. I will never forget the sound of sirens and alarms that rang thru the air from across the hudson and the smell of jet fuel that filled your nose and made you dizzy.
You could see and smell the smoke and dust from my roof.

I remember feeling helpless and wanting to help people. This was a horrible feeling.


And now 10 years later I woke at 5am west coast time and the memory is with me like it was yesterday. I can't bring myself to watch anymore news. The reading of the names of the lives lost brought tears to my eyes. And the infinity pools the put In place of the towers are beautiful.


The only happy moment of the news this morning was hearing the most heart warming story that only took 10years to be aired on the news.

It was a story of how the coast guard put out a call to all boats to come pick up people from the waters edge to help evacuate NYC and hundreds of privately owned boats , tub boats and charters came to the rescue. In under 9 hours they evacuated a half a million people from NYC. Alot of the boat owners told their stories and it touched my heart. I wish it didn't take 10 years for their stories to be told.

Today is national pay it forward day. Tho I feel every day should be I plan on trying to do random acts of kindness for complete strangers today. I don't expect anything in return. I just want to make people happy. People of NYC, NJ and other parts of the counrty came together to help each other in a time of crisis why can't we keep that unity going every day of the year.

Ok enough rambling off to enjoy the day and the find people to do nice things for. Hope you have a good day. And try to focus on more of the positive things in life and less on the negative.

9/11 Trust me we will NEVER FORGET!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment